The Black Leadership Initiative® (BLI) was established in 2002 following the publication of the report of the Commission for Black Staff in Further Education. Its brief was clear: to introduce practical measures that would improve the career development opportunities for BAME staff and managers.
Black-led and now housed within the Network for Black Professionals, the BLI® has pioneered award winning practical programmes to support succession planning strategies for BAME staff across sectors.
- Winner of the British Diversity Award Gold Standard for Education
- 19.5% of Chief Executives/Principals/Chairs of Governors in the FE sector trained as BLI mentors
- Pioneered Shadows with Ofsted, DIUS and the Minister of State for Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education
- Increased the number of black principals across the Learning and Skills systems
- Developed international links with America and South Africa
- Increasing the number of BAME middle and senior managers
- Approximately 70% of participants on the Ofsted/BLI Inspection shadowing programme have achieved career progression
- Featured in the Foster report as 'an organisation making a difference’